[Photos in this post were taken by Heikki Palomaa, my long-time friend and a co-musician, kind enough to help me with the preparations and to play guitar in the opening party!]
May the constructing work begin!
Since the place where I’m putting the exhibition on display is usually not used as a gallery, there will be quite a bit of work in organizing the space so as to make it look like one!
Once I’ve settled in Kuhmo (after spending the Christmas with my parents and my
sister’s family in Oulu), there will be three days to carry out the constructing work…
Or to be precise: two full days, since it turns out there’s another tenant using
the same office space to sell hiking gear until Friday 30 December 2011!
Let’s begin by completing the framing work of the photos: here I’m
attaching iron wire to each image such that they can be hanged on the wall.
For hanging, I’m using S-shaped hooks and ready-made holes on the wall. The
wires are attached directly to metallic hooks tied to the background cardboards.
In about half of the space, the walls are made of wood, so occasionally I’m using an additional wooden board to minimize the number of nails I’ll need to hammer on the wall:
This board (shown behind the picture being just hanged) will host four pictures,
the so-called Helsinki Variations (see Helsinki-muunnelmat in the section “Kuvia”).
And as if that wasn’t enough …there will need to be light!
I’m attaching spotlights to the ceiling to ensure the photos will be sufficiently bright and not dependent on the cold light of the white lamps usually responsible for lighting (see below).
(When the space is used for commercial purposes, those lamps are
on, but that doesn’t seem very convenient for an exhibition…)
Fortunately, I was rational enough to realize I might be running out of time should I have nobody to help with the constructions, so I contemplated whom to ask for some help…
… in the end, I phoned my brother-in-law’s father, a “bare-footed” kuhmolainen, as we would say (i.e. he’s originally from here), and in three minutes he parked his van by the site!
A couple of hours earlier, I had discovered some idle boards in the basement of the gallery-to-be, so we used those to make three platforms for additional spotlights …
… these can be seen on the left hand side of the photo above, and they really gave my
gallery the finishing touches it sorely needed! Thousand thanks, Leo, for all the help!